Contributing to the HTTP Archive's 2021 Web Almanac - Resource HintsPublished: Tue Nov 23 2021
The HTTP Archive’s Web Almanac is an initiative taking a data-driven approach to understanding the current state of the web. All data and queries are publicly available, making the methodology transparent and open to scrutiny.
Contributing to the Web Almanac allowed me to research how resource hints are used and understand their impact on web performance. Did you know that
preload is the most popular resource hint in the top 1,000 ranking websites? Yet it is less popular on the rest of the websites analyzed?
It also enabled me to ask questions about the best practices. Are we preloading too aggressively? Are we preloading the right resources? As explained in the chapter, resource hints usage is a balancing act. Too much might regress your website’s performance, while too little might not be taking advantage of all the available tools to improve performance.
Please give it a read and let me know what you think. Feedback is always welcome.
- Learn Performance course on web.devWed Nov 01 2023
- Setting up a Private WebPageTest instanceMon Jun 26 2023
- First Important Paint - Developing a custom metricSat Jun 10 2023
- Web Performance AuditWed Jun 07 2023
- Fetch Priority and optimizing LCPMon Jan 02 2023