Web Performance Consultant
Hey, I’m Kevin. I can help you understand why your website is slow, help you fix it and transfer my knowledge to your team to create a performance culture & maintain a fast website.
What I do
I work with teams that want a fast website. I am available for both short and long-term projects. My work varies from one-off performance audits; to multi-month strategic advisory, development & consulting.
I am also an open-source contributor, international speaker, and a former co-founder of two successful startups based in Malta.
- Google IO Extended - MaltaWed Sep 07 2022
On June 21st I was lucky enough to speak at Google IO Extended - Malta about Interaction to Next Paint (INP).
- Interaction to Next PaintThu Jun 16 2022
In May 2022, Google added Time to First Byte (TTFB) and Interaction to Next Paint (INP) to their CrUX report. INP measures a website's responsiveness and might replace First Input Delay (FID) as a Core Web Vital in the future.
- Component composition in ReactWed Feb 23 2022
One of the most misunderstood design patterns in a React application is the render props pattern and component composition.
- The web isn't for content, it's for ads.Wed Feb 02 2022
When visiting a website, the goal of the website isn't for you to consume the content you came looking for, but to maximize the lifetime value of your visit.
- React Router and nested routesTue Feb 01 2022
What are nested routes, why are they meaningful, and how can you use nested routes in your React app?
- Should you optimize every re-render?Tue Dec 07 2021
In most cases, the time spent rendering each component is a few milliseconds. This has led to the argument that not all re-renders are bad; a statement I disagree with.
- Getting your HTTP Cache-Control headers rightSat Nov 27 2021
Getting your caching strategy right can make a huge difference to your users - both repeat and first time.
- Contributing to the HTTP Archive's 2021 Web Almanac - Resource HintsTue Nov 23 2021
The Web Almanac is an annual publication curated by industry experts analyzing the current state of the web.
- Creating a performance culture - Web Performance CalendarThu Dec 24 2020
A non-technical write-up about my experience creating and maintaining a performance culture at Tipico.
- Code-splitting is hardFri Nov 13 2020
A demo project to illustrate that code-splitting is not a pandora's box and help in answering frequently asked questions on the topic.
- Measuring performance with SpeedCurve and WebPageTestMon Nov 02 2020
Internal presentation at Tipico
- Loading CSS - Performance CheatsheetFri Sep 25 2020
A comparison of a set of tests using different loading strategies for CSS assets.
- React Rendering OrderTue Jul 28 2020
An example and explanation of the order in which React renders components and sub-components.
- Inlining critical CSSFri Jul 24 2020
I have recently come across all sorts of implementations to inline critical CSS. Here I share my relatively simple approach.
- Learning the React reconciliation algorithm with performance measuresSun May 03 2020
I wanted to measure the summation of all CPU time following a prop change, to do that I had to thoroughly understand the React reconciliation algorithm.
- How I improved a WordPress website's start render time to under 1 secondSun Apr 26 2020
Over the course of three months, I improved a WordPress website's page load time from 5.52 to 1.40 seconds and brought it's start rendering time to under 1 second.
- AnnouncementThu Feb 20 2020
Resignation from Incredible Web Ltd.
- The role of progressive enhancement todayMon Jan 06 2020
Presented at perf.now() meetup in Amsterdam